Saturday, July 7, 2012

First Vietnam Wedding

Troy and I attended our first Vietnamese wedding this weekend. To be honest,  I absolutely love weddings and would be a wedding crasher if I had the guts. So to have been invited to a Vietnamese wedding was very exciting for me.  This is the wedding of a guy named Van who is working with Troy.

Wedding Invitation. The wedding invitation is sent in an envelope with your name on it as seen to the left. In place of a gift, you put money in the envelope and return it to the couple at the reception. Not a bad idea eh?


Our assigned table.....just calling it as it is...nothing cutesy or creative here.

This is the welcoming table where you drop off your red envelope.

I know,  David and Goliath comes to mind :)

The bride and groom being announced into the reception. 

Pouring the champagne fountain. All of the significant reception traditions are done at the very beginning (cutting the cake, etc.) before the dinner is served. 

Appetizers of fried calamari and something else chewy.....check please...I was out at this point.  This was followed by soup, 3 main courses, and dessert.  Troy and Drey ate the food and I went to dinner afterwards.
Drey enjoying a little fried calamari...surprisingly!  (I think the only reason he ate it is because Troy told him it was chicken)

I guess this is what you do when trying to look tough...like throwing gang signs or something? A cowboy wannabe? I don't know?

Second dress for the bride. In Vietnam the women wear 3 - 4 wedding dresses. The wedding pictures showed the bride in at least three different dresses and this red dress was made just  for the reception. There are wedding dress shops everywhere in Vietnam. Custom made wedding dress for cheap...sure I'll take 3 or 4 also.

The bride and groom go around each table and do "cheers" with all of their guests. Please don't judge me on how I look in this picture, I was just wrestling two kids in a room with blaring loud music. Loud room +  not so good food = me leaving with Enzo who was having a bad reaction to it all.

Another Vietnamese wedding tradition.....candy in ears.....actually it's how you keep a two year old entertained after a long night.

Confetti cannons went off a couple times during the program. Drey was all about making sure he got to play in it.  And yes, that's a wall size picture of the couple in the background. It makes the traditional bridal photo we do seem a little chinsy.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I am laughing SO hard! - I think Corban (sitting on the bed behind me) thinks I have officially lost it. Why oh why can't we hang out. Now. Alas, I will try and hold out until February....or January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I can totally hear your voice as I read your words, made me laugh reading about you and the food. Drey's such a good sport for trying new things! Luke's really good about that too, I like that. I love weddings! I keep hoping I'll find a good fare so I can make it out to Stacey's! Wish we could all be there. sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete